Welcome to the Suriname Jewish Community!
Welcome to the Suriname Jewish Community, the Oldest Existing Jewish Community in the Americas!
Jewish population of this small South American country can be traced back to the arrival of the first group of Jews to arrive in Suriname in the 1630’s. Most of these men and women were descendents of Jews fleeing the Spanish Inquisition and came from Holland, Portugal and Italy via Brazil.
Today, the community numbers some 300 individuals, 130 of whom are members of the country's Neve Shalom Synagogue. Despite their relatively small number, their influence and presence is still felt throughout the country.
Suriname is the smallest country in South America. It is nature lover's paradise, with over 90% of the country covered with dense rainforest jungles and rivers containing a rich diversity of rare animals, flora and fauna.
The country's population is a mosaic of distinct ethnic groups such as: Hindustanies (from India), Javanese (from the island of Java in Indonesia), Maroons, Creoles, Indigenous Amerindians, Chinese and Europeans.
The Jewish community is found primarily in the capital city of Paramaribo, known as the "wooden city" because of the preponderance of lovely wooden structures that line its streets.
Paramaribo was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2002.
The Neve Shalom Synagogue, built in 1835, serves as the center of Jewish life in Suriname and is located at Keizerstraat 82-84 in the heart of downtown Paramaribo, Suriname's capital.
The Synagogue, a museum and gift shop are open for visitors from Monday to Thursday, 10:00am and 4:00pm.
• Friday evening at 7:00pm, the first and third Friday of the month;
• Saturday morning at 8:00am, the second and fourth week of the month.
For additional information, please contact the Synagogue office:
Telephone number: +597 - 472817
- The History of Our Suriname Jewish Community
- The history of the Jewish community of Suriname is a fascinating story of the first self-governing Jewish community in the world!
- Jewish Life Today
- Jewish Life Today in Suriname
- Our Synagogues in Suriname, South America
- Our Suriname synagogues are magnificent historical landmarks
- Our Suriname Jewish Cemeteries and Graves
- Join us as we visit our Jewish cemeteries in Suriname; they are fascinating historical sites
- Our Community events in photos
- Photos 2010
- Our community events in photos
- Chai Membership
- Chai Memberip is open to a person (or family) who does not live in Suriname but wishes to help maintain this historic Synagogue
- The Last Eden
- Suriname, the smallest country in South America, is a nature lovers paradise
- Contact Us
- How to get in touch with the Suriname Jewish Community
- Special Acknowledgments and Thanks
- Special thanks to special individuals
- Suriname Jewish Community External Links
- Useful Web Sites Concerning the Jewish Community of Suriname, South America